Giving to GIAS

The Department of Global, International & Area Studies (GIAS) was established in 2009 to bring together a number of existing interdisciplinary programs under a single umbrella. We currently offer a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies, as well as minors in International Studies and Holocaust, Genocide & Human Rights Studies. The minors in Islamic Studies and Judaic Studies are no longer accepting new students. Although these two minors have been discontinued, students already enrolled will be able to complete their programs and receive the appropriate degree designation.

How to Give:

Credit Card

NOTE: Under Gift Amount and Designations, select One or more colleges, schools or units.  Scroll to bottom and select Other Area Not Listed and then Continue.  In the box to the right of Other Designation Not Listed type in GIAS Discretionary fund #[fund number] and complete the form.


Please enclose this form with your check made payable to “UNC Charlotte Foundation” and mark GIAS Discretionary Fund on the Memo line.  Please mail to:

UNC Charlotte
Office of University Development
9201 University City Boulevard
Charlotte, NC  28223


Matching gifts

If you or your spouse/partner work for company that matches your charitable gifts, you may be able to increase the size of your donation through a matching gift. Search our online database to see if your organization participates.


Gifts made to create an endowed fund are invested for perpetuity. A portion of the earned income is then used to support the fund’s purpose. Any excess earnings are reinvested, allowing the fund to grow. Endowments may be created for student scholarships and fellowships, faculty chairs and professorships, or many other purposes.

Planned Giving

Planned gifts include gifts of marketable securities such as stocks and bonds; estate gifts through a bequest in a will or through a trust; charitable gift annuities or charitable remainder trusts that provide a lifetime income stream to the donor; and other gifts of real estate or tax-deferred retirement assets.  For more information, please go to